The mission of Golden Leaf Education Foundation (GLEF) is to empower humanity by enhancing educational opportunities internationally, in memory of genocide victims and in honor of survivors, “golden leaves”:
golden leaf (gōl’dən lēf) – n., pl. golden leaves (gōl’dən lēvz)
1. a survivor of a heinous act against humanity, especially genocide.
2. Golden Leaf (pl. Golden Leaves):
a. A person who survived the Khmer Rouge genocide: “Golden Leaf, A Khmer Rouge Genocide Survivor” (Kilong Ung)
3. one who survives against extreme odds
GLEF leverages Cambodia’s history of genocide to foster “Building the Foundations for Peace” through renovating existing schools, building new schools, and providing educational support such as school supplies, student uniforms and bicycles. With our partners, we do projects such as school water filtration systems.
- Renovated (existing) schools with a subtitle “A Golden Leaf School”.
- New schools with the title “Golden Leaf School”. Location-postfix such as country name, city name, village name may be added to the main title — i.e. Golden Leaf School Battambang.
- Sibling schools. Any school may apply to become a Golden Leaf sibling school. Paired sibling schools support each other in the traditional sense of sister schools.
- Golden Leaf Equity Tour to support the Golden Leaf schools.
GLEF Builds Awareness of:
- Genocide and global conflicts.
- Conflict resolutions.
- Positively “Paying it Forward.”
- “Service Above Self.”
GLEF Aims to Strengthen Faith in Humanity by “Building the Foundations for Peace”
Golden Leaf Education Foundation is a non-political, non-religious non-profit 501 (c) 3.