Krista is a homeschooling, music loving, traveling, kind of a gal. Now that her kids are a bit older (ages 13, 15, 19 and 22) she has begun to work more aggressively on her life’s passion—volunteering. Locally (Revelstoke, BC) Krista’s work is spread between projects with her son, Raine Carnegie, and with Joy for Tomorrow—a partnership between herself and her good friend Jackie Brosseuk. In addition to this, she has just become a member of the Revelstoke Rotary Club. A large part of her work is done with youth. Krista has spent time in schools, with youth organizations and with individuals to raise awareness about social issues that affect our global community. She has a strong belief that it will be the next generation who will change the world and it is our responsibility to empower them to do so.
A few of Krista Carnegie past projects:
- “Trick or Eat” Halloween youth campaign to both raise awareness about food security issues and to raise food for our local food bank
- Shoes for Swaziland shoe drive where we collected over 6,000 pairs of shoes for those who are without (with such amazing response we were able to ship some shoes to Lesotho, Africa and some will be heading to northern Alberta where forest fires have devastated Slave Lake, AB)
- Implementing a KIVA microlending project within one of our local elementary schools
- Tools for School: fundraising and pillowcase collection (for pillowcase school bags) towards alleviating the affects of informal fees in rural Cambodia.
- Fundraising for GLEF: desks for the Taing Krosaing Junior High School.
- Global Peace Tile Art Project: 30 Taing Krosaing Junior High School students created mixed-media (fabric, paint, etc.) “peace tiles” and exchanged their tiles with tiles from GLEF sister school in British Columbia
Krista’s passion runs thick and deep, and has led her to pursue a certificate in International Development through UBC. She has focused on Cambodia throughout her studies concentrating on the effects of informal fees on education. Working with and alongside GLEF is only a natural progression of Krista’s passion.